Thursday 20 August 2009

19.08.09 White Water Rafting on the Rio Touache and Rio Blanco



Start Quito 7:05am Arrive Santo Domingo 09:30
As you can see from the map, we drove through the Andes, descending all the time, from Quito, until we reached the valley floor. The Andes are spectacular- no other word for it. Covered in lush vegetation, they rise out of their cloud collars, peak after peak into the distance.
Stage 3 Rafting is classed as intermediate- now, seeing as I’ve only done it once before! Anyway, best not to think too much on the prospect of drowning or being washed away, on to our adrenalin filled day of white water rafting. Diego had us sign our lives away before giving us a full on safety briefing- particularly how to pull me back on the boat by my life jacket if I should fall in. You’d think rafting with five men would make me feel safe but I felt like I might let the side down with my paddling! But, once we got going I realized I wasn’t too bad after all and didn’t fall in once. We named ourselves the ‘Touache Pirates’ after the River, and when we’d made it through each set of rapids we’d put our oars in the air, shout “Touache Pirates!” and smash them on to the water- all about the team-building! You felt a real rush though when you were faced with a wall of white water coming straight towards you. Then we had the unique opportunity to jump off a massive rock into the deep water below! Great fun!

No comments: