Sunday 27 September 2009

23.09.09 First Day of Inca Trail leaving Ollantaytambo




I sit here in the dinner tent set up by the SAS porters who’ve been carrying most of our baggage all day, at the end of our first day of trekking. I must say it’s been an endurance test. The hot chocolate we’ve just consumed was very welcome as it turns cold pretty quickly up here (3,200m). Our cosy tents are waiting for us- they were also erected before we arrived at the site by the porters, who virtually ran up the mountains, each carrying approximately 20kgs. They are extremely fit, but tragically don’t have a terribly long career span due to the nature of their job. Although I wish I could help, I’m finding it tough carrying only 8kgs including 1 ½ litres of water.
We have a hard day ahead of us tomorrow, but at least after that the going is not so difficult.
And so to bed…

No comments: